When you think of catering, what comes to mind? Probably food, right? There is much more to catering services than most people realize. It's not as simple as picking up some food and delivering it to the party location.
There are many things you didn't know about catering services. For example, did you know that you can use catering services for more than just weddings and corporate events? You may also consider catering for birthday parties, baby showers, and other special occasions. Additionally, catering doesn't have to be expensive.
In this post, we will discuss some things that you probably didn't know about catering! We will cover everything from the different types of catering to the important factors you must consider when choosing a caterer. Read on!
Things You Definitely Didn't Know About Catering Services
If you think you know everything there is to know about catering services, think again! Here are some things you didn't know about this popular industry.
1. Catering is a Pretty Ancient Profession
- Catering is a pretty ancient profession. The word comes from the French word catering, meaning providing food and drink service. Catering services have been around for centuries, providing food and drink from royal feasts to country fairs.
- Today, catering is a multi-billion dollar industry that provides food and drink for all sorts of events, from weddings to corporate functions. Catering has come a long way since its humble beginnings, but it still plays an important role in shaping our food culture.
2. Catering Services Can Be Extremely Customizable
- Catering services are often thought of as being rigid and inflexible, but the reality is that they can be very customizable. Catering companies can work with you to create a menu that fits your event perfectly.
- Catering services can accommodate your needs if you need finger foods for a cocktail party or a five-course meal for a sit-down dinner. In addition, catering companies can also provide special accommodations for guests with dietary restrictions.
3. Catering Services Can Be Very Stressful
- Catering involves preparing food and drinks for a large group of people which can be challenging and demanding. There are many different aspects to catering, from menu planning and food preparation to serving and clean-up. Catering staff must be able to work quickly and efficiently under pressure, as well as be able to handle last-minute changes or problems.
- Catering can be a demanding job, but it can also be very rewarding. Seeing the satisfaction on the faces of guests who have enjoyed a meal you have prepared is one of the best parts of the job.
4. You Need to Be Super Organized to Cater Successfully
- Catering is not for the faint of heart. It takes a special kind of person to be successful in this industry. Catering is all about being organized. You have to be on top of your game from the moment you take a catering gig until the last guest leaves; there is no room for error.
- Every detail must be perfect. You need to be able to think on your feet and make split-second decisions. Catering may not be the right fit for you if you're not naturally organized. But catering could be your perfect career if you thrive in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment.
5. Catering Services Can Be Expensive
- Catering services can be expensive. This is because there are a lot of costs associated with running a catering business. For example, catering businesses have to pay for the food that they serve at events. They also have to pay for the staff who work at the event, as well as for any equipment that is needed.
- In addition, catering businesses often have to pay for insurance and other overhead costs. As a result, it is not surprising that catering services can be expensive.
- However, there are some ways to save money on catering services. For example, many catering businesses offer discounts for large groups or customers who book their services in advance.
6. You Have to Be Prepared to Deal With Customer Complaints
- Catering is a wide and varied industry that can offer many career opportunities. However, it is important to remember that catering is not all about food. As with any customer-facing industry, you must also be prepared to deal with complaints.
- Catering complaints can range from customers who are unhappy with the food to those who are dissatisfied with the service. To be successful in catering, you need to have a good complaints procedure in place to quickly and efficiently resolve any issues that may arise.
- By dealing with complaints quickly and efficiently, you will maintain a good reputation with your clients and continue to grow your business.
7. It's Easy to Run Out of Supplies When Catering
- Catering services are often considered luxury items reserved for weddings and corporate functions. However, catering can be a lifesaver for busy families and individuals who don't have the time or energy to cook meals from scratch.
Catering services can provide ready-to-eat meals that must be reheated, saving time and effort. However, there is one downside to catering that many people don't consider: running out of supplies is easy. Catering companies often overestimate how much food will be needed, leading to leftovers that go to waste.
8. Not All Caterers Specialize In Food Service
- Catering is a broad term that can refer to all sorts of food service, from simple dishwashing to creating and serving gourmet meals. However, not all catering companies specialize in food service. Some cater exclusively to events such as weddings, corporate functions, and parties. These types of catering companies are often referred to as event caterers.
- Event caterers typically provide a wide range of services, from helping to plan the event to providing decor and entertainment. They may also provide other services such as transportation and accommodation.
- While event catering is a distinct industry, it is important to note that not all catering companies specialize in this area. Catering is a broad term that can refer to all sorts of food service, from simple dishwashing to creating and serving gourmet meals.
What Are The Different Types Of Catering?
There are all sorts of different types of catering. You've got your standard wedding catering, where you have a sit-down meal with servers and everything. But there's also buffet catering, which is great for large events where people might want to grab something on the go.
Then there's cocktail party catering, which is perfect for smaller gatherings and offers a more intimate vibe. And finally, you've got dessert party catering, exactly what it sounds like a party centered around desserts!
Important Factors To Consider When Choosing a Caterer
First, you need to find an experienced caterer with a good reputation. Secondly, you must ensure that the caterer has a menu that meets your event's needs.
In addition, you need to check pricing and reviews. Fourthly, pay attention to the details of the contract. Finally, communicate with the caterer about your vision for the event.
Catering services are a great way to make any event a success. Whether you're looking for a gourmet meal or a simple buffet, catering services can be tailored to meet your needs. Also, catering services can often be more cost-effective than cooking yourself.
If you're interested in our catering services, contact us today. We'd be happy to answer any of your questions and help you find the perfect catering service for your next event.